Obtaining GIS Data
Various State agencies collect GIS data, and offer much of it for sale or download. To see information about the data being collected, visit the Maryland Mapping Resource Guide.
In many cases, data or maps can be ordered on hard media. Follow these steps to obtain various products:
- Determine which products you would like to order. You may visit the MERLIN Online electronic atlas to preview data and determine which items you need.
- Review the cost schedules, license agreements and/or order forms to determine product availability, costs, and accepted methods of payment.
- Contact the agency responsible for producting and maintaining the data/maps for specific ordering instructions. A signed license agreement with payment may be required prior to delivery.
- MD Department of Natural Resources
- MD Department of Planning
- MD State Highway Administration
- Submit an order form and/or signed license agreement with payment. Once the order is complete, the items will be shipped to you.
- Be sure to read all license agreements and instructions including metadata concerning the proper use and interpretation of the data.
Please Note: As a matter of public policy, Maryland State government agencies are authorized to assert a copyright to their spatial data products, require license agreements and charge for the costs associated with product distribution. Licensing and access information is provided for each product.
Upcoming EventsQuarterly Meetings
- July 24
- July 10 - Canceled